The Sound Of The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cambridge Rock Festival

Go down 
+17
Jerry
GDog
H
Guitarboy
Simon.Heywood
HowieUK
Mr Gig
Maptgm1
Stephen C
StrangeMagic
ChrizDevo
Hels@Hippychick
AndyGoodall
ColinCamel
Quicksand
AstralEnigma
HippyDave
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

Cambridge Rock Festival Empty
PostSubject: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 am

So! Who's going to be there? Very Happy

Steen and I won't be there til Sunday (when we will be doing Panic Room's merch, so come and say hi if you're nearby), but we'll be sticking around for the rest of the day. Panic Room, the new-look Breathing Space *and* Mostly Autumn with Livvy? Sounds like a great day out to me!

Oh, apparently there are some other bands on as well... Wink

Let's hope the weather is kind to us, eh?
Back to top Go down
http://hippydave.wordpress.com
AstralEnigma
Communications Officer
Communications Officer
AstralEnigma

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

I will, of course, be there. But come on, howzaboutz Saturday as well...
Back to top Go down
http://www.lyndaandtrevor.co.uk
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 am

AstralEnigma wrote:
I will, of course, be there. But come on, howzaboutz Saturday as well...

Well, as it turns out, Steen and I have decided to camp, and as we have passes for the whole weekend, it looks like we'll be rolling up on Saturday afternoon. Can't say I'm particularly enthused about the Saturday line-up, though, tbh - all the stuff I'm interested in happens on the Sunday (yay) or on the Friday (when we simply aren't able to be there).

Ah well! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AstralEnigma
Communications Officer
Communications Officer
AstralEnigma

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:36 am

Well, at the very least you should go and see Emerald Sky on Saturday. OK they're not prog, but think of a cross between Girlschool and Rush, with Deep Purple hooks...
Back to top Go down
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 1:12 pm

AstralEnigma wrote:
Well, at the very least you should go and see Emerald Sky on Saturday. OK they're not prog, but think of a cross between Girlschool and Rush, with Deep Purple hooks...

Rush aside, you're not really selling it to me there, Trev...! Laughing I guess they might be worth a punt after all your raving. I suppose it depends what time they're on, and what time we get there!
Back to top Go down
AstralEnigma
Communications Officer
Communications Officer
AstralEnigma

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh well, can't win 'em all. Aneil likes them - does that help?
Back to top Go down
Quicksand
Rookie
Rookie
Quicksand

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm hoping that someone who went to the CRF will one day post a few piccis here SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 7:11 pm

See you there Dave, but as we are going on Thursday, we might look a little rough by the time you get there.
Back to top Go down
AndyGoodall
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 7:41 am

I shall also be there with camera in tow, so should have a
few pictures to add here or Facebook afterwards.
Will also be in York next Thursday for the first gig of
the new line up.
Andy

cheers
Back to top Go down
Hels@Hippychick
Forward Gunner
Forward Gunner
Hels@Hippychick

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 pm

ColinCamel wrote:
See you there Dave, but as we are going on Thursday, we might look a little rough by the time you get there.

Speak for yourself darling flower
Back to top Go down
ChrizDevo
Junior Technician
Junior Technician
ChrizDevo

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 pm

By Sunday I will be as rough as hell, but hey Strongbow gets you through anything and as long as i get a shower a day i'm happy ... shame you will miss Crimson Sky on Friday but strongly recommend the whole weekend it has a great vibe (he said in his best hippy voice)
Back to top Go down
Quicksand
Rookie
Rookie
Quicksand

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 12:20 pm

AndyGoodall wrote:
I shall also be there with camera in tow, so should have a
few pictures to add here or Facebook afterwards.
Will also be in York next Thursday for the first gig of
the new line up.
Andy

cheers

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
StrangeMagic
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Best of luck to the band, especially Heidi and Adam, for Sunday. I will be going just for the Sunday. Breathing Space, Panic Room and Mostly Autumn all on the same bill. It doesn't get much better than that. I just have to go. Not much else appeals on the day, but it will be worth it.

On a personal level, I'm a bit gutted that Chantel McGregor is playing on the Saturday. Wish it was Sunday! Chantel always plays to kill, and is due on the main stage at midday Saturday. Far too early. Anyone still half asleep will soon get livened up. She will deliver a great set. I know that Chantel will be staying over and is looking forward to seeing BS, PR & MA, all for the first time, the following day. I know she's looking forward to it, and I'm sure she's going to enjoy it.

Roll on Sunday, and hope that Heidi is fully recovered.
Back to top Go down
Stephen C
Junior Technician
Junior Technician

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Couldn't get to CRF this year - how did it go ?

Any news on the set list, how the band performed / how the sound of the new line-up compares with previous version ?

Stephen C
Back to top Go down
Hels@Hippychick
Forward Gunner
Forward Gunner
Hels@Hippychick

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Breathing Space with Heidi and Adam were truly amazing. Despite worries about her voice prior to the gig, it held out and then some. Adam is a talented guitarist and also has a good singing voice. His song "Silver Skies" (hope I got that right Adam) which was an addition to the set was very good and fit in well I thought. We were also treated to a new song from the current line, and what a treat that was - sorry can't remember the name of the song, but am sure Heidi or the lads will put me right - it rocked!! This truly is the beginning of the new era for the band and what a tremendous beginning - I cannot describe in words how excellent they were. If I didn't know any better I would never had believed it was their first gig together as a band. They were very tight. A different direction and we love it. The crowd at Cambridge also loved the new line-up. WELL DONE LADS AND LASS!! You lot rock. cheers

Can't wait to see you again and again and again.

H x

Back to top Go down
StrangeMagic
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:00 pm

I thought the band put in a stunning performance on Sunday. I had never heard Heidi sing, but the way she tore into the opener, Below The Radar, won me over completely before she had even finished the first verse. I've felt for some time that this is the best opener from the Breathing Space collection, so I was very pleased they opened with this one. Heidi's got a great voice, ideal for the band, and Adam played as if he's been in the band for years. As they both write as well, the future looks very exciting for both the band and the fans. It was also nice to see Heidi play some acoustic guitar. I think it may have been on Adam's song.

The other songs played (I think) were Clear, Run From Yourself, Coming Up For Air, When I Hold On To You, Searching For My Shadow (Yes!), No Promises. Plus Adam's song, and another new one to finish. I can't remember the name of it either! Hope this list is correct, and I haven't put any wrong ones in. The set went down very well with the large crowd that had gathered inside the marquee. After such a powerful performance, I'm sure those who had not heard the band before can't fail to have been impressed.

It was also good to meet Hippy Dave, Trevor & Colin for the first time. With Panic Room & MA both in their usual top form, it was a great day. Didn't see much of the other bands, as I was in the Rock/blues tent most of the rest of the time. That place was really rockin', all of the day. And all of the night.
Back to top Go down
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 pm

The set in full:

Below The Radar
Coming Up For Air
Clear
Run From Yourself
No Promises
Silver Skies
(Adam's new song)
Searching For My Shadow
When I Hold On To You

New song (Paul did tell me it's name, but the beer was flowing by then - I think it was something like When My Lips Are Still Dry)

An absolutely belting first performance from the new line-up... We were biting our lips when Heidi walked on-stage, hoping that her vocal problems wouldn't cause her too much discomfort or hassle, but the rest had clearly done her the power of good! Heidi has a very different voice to Livvy, and for longer term fans the change may take some getting used to, but Heidi put in a superb, energetic performance that rapidly did away with any doubts anyone might have had. Heidi's voice is a lot 'rockier', and is especially effective when it comes to the belters! Very Happy

Adam was a total revelation, too: I was grinning like a loon during Coming Up For Air when he despatched the first 'signature' solo of the set without looking like he was even trying, but by the time he was wailing away at the end of Silver Skies, it was like he'd been with the band since day one. Just an incredible performance!

All in all, probably the performance of the weekend - simply far better even than I could have hoped for. Kudos to all, especially to the 'newbies' for really stepping up to the plate - and then some! Cool

Last edited by HippyDave on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Things couldn't have been much better, and the whole lot of you guys were great. The new look and sound is fantastic. Great to meet up with friends and finally put the faces to familiar names. Cambridge ROCKED! afro
Back to top Go down
Maptgm1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 pm

It was a totally different band that took the stage at cambridge, they looked like a tight unit rather than a group of individuals sharing the same stage. The highlight for me was Heidi's vocal performance, Her soulful power has lifted this band to a higher plain. She is a charismatic performer who doesn't need flashy visual props or contrived choreography to totally mesmerise an audience. She can captivate you standing still and singing from the heart, (what most fail to achieve running around the stage posing)!

Thanks Heidi for keeping it real!

(I for one would never have known if I hadn't been told that she had vocal problems before the gig).

Adam also put in a note perfect performance and looked like he'd been there for years, well done that man!

This is a good time for Breathing Space, can't wait for the new album, may they go from strength to strength Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrizDevo
Junior Technician
Junior Technician
ChrizDevo

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 pm

They came, they saw, they conquered ... back of net ..
Back to top Go down
Mr Gig
Rookie
Rookie
Mr Gig

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 am

Hello,

Just a note to say how much I enjoyed your set at CRF. I didn't know Breathing Space before and though you'd be out of the "Ambient" genre, tho there's nothing wrong with that.

How wrong I was. A storming rocky set. I would never have guessed it was Heidi's FIRST public performance. I only know that because I was standing next to her mate with the whisky.

I've put some photos on myspace see www.myspace.com/rambles_at_midnight .

I hope to catch you again when you're playing in the Herts area - Hertford Corn Exchange is a good venue, or Hertford Castle Hall.

regards

C

Last edited by Mr Gig on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
HowieUK
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:02 am

What a stunning set! From the off the New Band just blew me away- Georgia and I were grinning at each other ear to ear as each song unfolded.

Adam looks made for the role and I loved his new song of his.

And Heidi was just awesome ! A very different rockier RnB stlye than Livvy and maybe thats what the band needs. No-one could possibly follow Livvy in her style but Heidi will take us somewhere duifferent again. And she held the stage magnificently. If this is what a few medicinal whiskies does for her then bring on the Malt every time.
I had tears in my eyes during Seaching For My Shadow- for me the undoubted highlight of the whole wonderful day.

And all credit to the rest of the band for pulling off such a stormer with 2 new members and next to no rehersal time.
Can't wait for the next time.
Cheers
Howard
Took lots of photos which will be heading to Tevor once I`ve sorted em
Back to top Go down
Stephen C
Junior Technician
Junior Technician

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 am

Sounds like it went OK then :>)

So the next question has to be - when are they playing some more gigs so that I can get to see them for the first time ?

Stephen C
Back to top Go down
Hels@Hippychick
Forward Gunner
Forward Gunner
Hels@Hippychick

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Stephen C wrote:
Sounds like it went OK then :>)

So the next question has to be - when are they playing some more gigs so that I can get to see them for the first time ?

Stephen C

More than OK Stephen (only jesting, I realise you didn't mean it literally) lol!, my God, you had to be there to appreciate how amazing it was.

Only one gig arranged so far in Cambridge on Nov 20 (Sat).
Back to top Go down
AstralEnigma
Communications Officer
Communications Officer
AstralEnigma

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Mr Gig wrote:
Hello,

How wrong I was. A storming rocky set. I would never have guessed it was Heidi's FIRST public performance. I only know that because I was standing next to her mate with the whisky.

Well, to be fair it wasn't Heidi's first public performance ever - but her first with Breathing Space (and adam's first too). Not that that detracts from it - I lost count of the number of people who said to me afterwards how well Heidi's voice fits the overall band sound.

And everyone else has said everthing else. It was an excellent start to the new era, AND we have the old era on CD now too, so we can all get a fix of both! (well, I might struggle on the new bit being in America for a year, so come on Paul/Iain please organise the west coast tour ASAP...

My pics of the weekend will be on Facebook soon, and a selection of the best will be on the website when the official ones reach me - I'll let you know.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cambridge Rock Festival   Cambridge Rock Festival I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cambridge Rock Festival
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next