The Sound Of The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Karnataka

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:27 am

I'm sure I'm not the only fan here... Smile

From the band's website:

"Karnataka are very pleased to announce stunning new lead vocalist Hayley Griffiths!

Hayley has toured the world as lead vocalist with the Celtic musical phenomena Riverdance and Lord Of The Dance.

Hayley recently released her stunning debut album Silver Screen which has already won critical acclaim and the prestigious Classical Crossover Album Of The Year Award 2010.

In 2004, Hayley was flown to Dublin to sing for the Executive Producer of the Irish phenomenon, Riverdance. Just two days later she began a tour that over the next few years would take her extensively across Europe, North America, Russia, Japan and China singing to a crowd of thousands every night.

Hand picked by Michael Flatley himself, Hayley won the role of Erin the Goddess in Lord Of The Dance in late 2005, a tour that would take her to nearly every state in North America as well as extensive sold out tours of Canada, Mexico, and Europe. A one off performance of Michael Flatley's Feet of Flames in January 2008 would mark a high point in Hayley's career, thus far, with her voice being heard by 20,000 people at the Taipei Arena, in Taiwan.

Hayley has now embarked on a hugely successful solo career, releasing her debut album Silver Screen to critical acclaim in 2010 and winning the prestigious Classical Crossover Album Of The Year Award 2010.

Sharing a passion for pushing the boundaries of contemporary Celtic/Classical/rock music, Hayley has also now joined forces with Karnataka taking their sound to new heights."

http://www.karnataka.org.uk

Last edited by HippyDave on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://hippydave.wordpress.com
Belmont77
Junior Technician
Junior Technician

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 am

You are not the only fan. This could be quite a coup for Karnataka and should be very interesting to see what material is developed. Anything close to last years Gathering Light album and they are on a winner here.
I only hope that they can produce a new album over the next few months and not the YEARS that the last record took and the band can stay together this time and not continue the trend of imploding as is the norm with Karnataka.

Paul Turner
Back to top Go down
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 11:29 am

Belmont77 wrote:
You are not the only fan. This could be quite a coup for Karnataka and should be very interesting to see what material is developed. Anything close to last years Gathering Light album and they are on a winner here.

No arguments from me, Paul - The Gathering Light was/is a stunning piece of work.

Belmont77 wrote:
I only hope that they can produce a new album over the next few months and not the YEARS that the last record took

It's likely to be released next year - Hayley has some outstanding gigging commitments to undertake before she can dedicate her time more fully to the band, so the various members are taking the Spring/Summer to work on other projects. Enrico and Colin both have solo albums to complete, and Ian can (finally!) get back to the Chasing The Monsoon record, which has been 95% complete for a couple of years now, but which has had to take a back seat to Karnataka. Hayley's also working on her 2nd solo album this month, so everyone is actually very busy at the moment - and that's before you take into consideration writing (well underway, with several songs already semi-complete), and rehearsing for the autumn tour (which with three new members, and one not long back in the band in the shape of Louie, is going to take some time).

I do have to take issue with the complaint that The Gathering Light took years to produce, though - it actually only took 5-6 months to record and mix (not bad for such a big symphonic sound, especially considering it was Ian's first stab at producing! Let's not also forget that Ian does have a full-time job as well...). Writing took slightly longer, but a lot of that was down to some previous members not being around for a variety of reasons.

"Belmont77 wrote:
and the band can stay together this time and not continue the trend of imploding as is the norm with Karnataka.

Karnataka have actually not had a much larger turnover of musicians than bands such as The Reasoning or Magenta - it's just they've left in bunches! Well, since no members of the band are now married to each other and everyone is more attuned to the band's musical direction (one of the reasons this line-up has taken time to coalesce: any band can snap up the first available musician and get back on tour, but if you want to get something right, sometimes these things take time!), I don't foresee any similar problems this time... Wink
Back to top Go down
Belmont77
Junior Technician
Junior Technician

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 pm

It wasn't so much that the Gathering Light took in itself years to produce but it did take a long while to come to fruition. I saw Karnataka about 3 years ago as they emerged again and my comment, while understanding that other commitments will have to be completed first, is from the viewpoint that I hope the band can come together and write and tour as soon as is possible and move foward with more purpose than the last few years.

Paul Turner
Back to top Go down
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Karnataka - 'New Light' tour 2012   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 am

Karnataka embark on the first (UK-based) leg of their 'New Light' tour in early 2012. This is their first time out with new members Cagri Tozluoglu (keys), Colin Mold (ex-Kara, violin/guitar) and Hayley Griffiths (vocals), and we're being promised a set of favourites old and new, with possibly the first airing of some brand new material as well (a taster for their new album, due later next year).

Jan 20th 2012 Norwich Arts Centre, Norwich / 01603 660352
Jan 26th 2012 High Barn, Great Bardsfield / 01371 811 291
Jan 28th 2012 Montgomery Hall, Wath-Upon-Dearne (for the CRS) / 01327 310088
Feb 03rd 2012 The Astor Theatre, Deal / 01304 381134
Feb 10th 2012 The Stables, Milton Keynes / 01908 280800
Feb 12th 2012 The Wharf, Tavistock / 01822 611166
Feb 15th 2012 Chequer Mead Theatre, East Grinstead / 01342 302000
Feb 17th 2012 Colston Hall 2, Bristol / 0117 922 3686
Feb 19th 2012 Robin 2, Bilston / 01902 401211
Feb 23rd 2012 The Met, Bury / 0161 761 2216
Feb 25th 2012 Lowdham village Hall, Lowdham / 0115 9663596
Feb 29th 2012 Pontardawe Arts Centre, Pontardawe / 01792 863722
Mar 02nd 2012 Queens Hall, Edinburgh / 0131 668 2019
TBA - Announcement soon! London

There will be further dates throughout the year (along with some festival dates), and *hopefully* (no promises!) some news next year about shows in the US and Europe.
Back to top Go down
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:46 am

I have to say I thought the new incarnation of the band is a vast improvement compared to last time I saw them. When Hayley settles in and loses a touch of the operatic style she's used to, they are going to be a real force again. Don't get me wrong, her voice is fantastic but to my mind it's too polished. Go and see them if you haven't already.

The best of my pics from Wath are here: http://www.tclh.co.uk/gigs/Karnataka/12JanWath/hidef/hidef.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.tclh.co.uk
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 pm

All fair comments there I feel, Trev. This is an entirely different kettle of fish to the kind of work Hayley has done in the past, but from the moment I heard some (very!) rough rehearsal audio, I knew she'd be perfect for the band. As you say, given time and more experience with the band (on stage and in the studio), she'll adapt very well I think.

As far as the previous line-up goes... I think it was a real pity that that line-up didn't gel as well as it might have. I still think Lisa was, vocally speaking at least, ideal for the band. However, the music wasn't really her bag (as might be guessed from some of the things she's turned her hand to since leaving), and consequently she didn't engage with the audiences as effectively as she might have. I always thought Gonzalo was the weak link (his 'widdly-widdly' prog style didn't sit too well with the band's more atmospheric tendencies, skilled though he unquestionably was), so I can understand any misgivings about that. Of course there's a whole lot more that led to that line-up splitting than this, but I think I'll save that for the autobiography! Wink

Haven't had the chance to see the new band In The Flesh yet, but that'll all change this weekend at Bilston. Can't wait! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kalyr
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Will be seeing them at Bristol this Friday - Will give you my verdict after I've seen them!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kalyr.com/weblog
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Well, I hope anyone who went along to a date on the last tour had a great time!

Now it's time for seconds, as the 'Forbidden Dreams' tour gets underway in the Autumn! Very Happy

Sept 21st 2012 Epsom Playhouse, Epsom
Sept 23rd 2012 Artrix Theatre, Bromsgrove
Sept 27th 2012 The Junction, Cambridge
Sept 28th 2012 Academy 3, Manchester
Sept 30th 2012 Robin 2, Bilston
Oct 5th 2012 Arts Centre, Evesham
Oct 6th 2012 Colston Hall 2, Bristol
Oct 12th 2012 Y Theatre, Leicester
Oct 13th 2012 The Gate, Cardiff
Oct 20th 2012 Montgomery Hall, Rotherham
Oct 25th 2012 The Playhouse, Norwich
Oct 26th 2012 The Platform, Lancaster
Nov 10th 2012 The Citadel, St Helens
Nov 11th 2012 Darwin Suite, Derby
Nov 16th 2012 Agincourt, Camberley
Nov 17th 2012 The Assembly, Leamington Spa
Nov 24th 2012 Martletts Hall, Burgess Hill
Nov 25th 2012 The Brook, Southampton
Nov 30th 2012 Burnley Mechanics, Burnley
Dec 8th 2012 Club Il Giardino, Verona, Italy
Dec (TBC) London

A gig in Evesham? A whole 250 yards or so from my house? Well I never! Cool
Back to top Go down
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 2:04 pm

A few there that might be do-able... I might decide based upon camera policy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tclh.co.uk
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

Karnataka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karnataka   Karnataka I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Hope we can get to Leamington Spa, and maybe Wath
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Karnataka Empty