The Sound Of The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gilbert And Sullivan

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

Gilbert And Sullivan Empty
PostSubject: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 am

Yes... having discovered I'm far from the only one who likes a bit of G&S, I thought where better to post something than here. So who's been to what recently, and how was it... etc etc!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tclh.co.uk
David Meadows
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 pm

I like Gilbert & Sullivan but I have never heard any live. (Not since our school did 'Patience'...but let's draw a veil over that...)

Yeoman of the Guard will be on BBC2 this Saturday, a broadcast of last Saturday's Prom.
Back to top Go down
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks David! I'll set the recorder... although if it was a prom I guess it may be music only, which isn't really the same. Well, that in theory brings the number up to four people - if the other two finally get onto the thread!

I've been to three in the last three weeks (Pirates of Penzance, Ruddigore and The Grand Duke), all at Buxton, around CRF. An interesting bit of variety. Lynda discovered Cris Dove is a fan at CRF - I discovered Paul Bain is too - going to the Buxton festival but somehow not the same times as me.

So let's see else owns up!!
Back to top Go down
David Meadows
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 5:02 pm

I think they will do it "semi staged", i.e. will have costumes and a bit of acting but not a full production.

Pirates is over-exposed Wink . Ruddigore is brilliant. And I don't know The Grand Duke at all.
Back to top Go down
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 pm

I'd agree Pirates is over-exposed, but then it's also possibly the easiest to get a newbie into...? It's also my favourite or at least one of, along with Ruddigore and Utopia Limited.

I recently bought the 80s DVD (TV) box set - which is VERY 80s. I good reminder but production is not what I would choose. Watched Iolanthe last weekend and the production made it a struggle. At the weekend I bought a few of the Buxton festival DVDs, so I'll watch them when Lynda goes off to Japan in a few weeks!
Back to top Go down
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Must get around to updating this - counting Buxton and the two weeks that Lynda was in Japan, I've watched everything except Thespis (which I don't have on DVD), and (considering Lynda was in Japan) The Mikado. The Buxton DVD's aren't too bad, although as they are recorded live on the fly, you get what they chose to mix as they did it. Sound is actually quite good and close-up video is reasonable, but not too impressed with longer distance video.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert And Sullivan   Gilbert And Sullivan I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gilbert And Sullivan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sound Of The World :: Anything At All :: Other Music-
Jump to: