The Sound Of The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Prog Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
David Meadows
Rookie
Rookie

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 pm

This is probably the best audience to pose the question to Smile

Welcome the the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood: Prog or not?

Back to top Go down
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 6:55 pm

not prog
Back to top Go down
David Meadows
Rookie
Rookie

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 9:49 pm

It was a double studio album with songs linked by recurring themes, it had one track in excess of 12 minutes long, spoken-word passages, orchestral passages, and guest appearances by three members of YES!

Say the above sentence to somebody without revealing the name of the band or the album and ask them to guess which genre it belongs to scratch

Back to top Go down
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:02 am

IMO at that time Yes were not prog either.
Back to top Go down
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:04 am

And with the exception of Yes members, that could describe many soundtracks to films. And the sound of music wasn't prog Shocked
Back to top Go down
HippyDave
Radar Operator
Radar Operator
HippyDave

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 am

ColinCamel wrote:
IMO at that time Yes were not prog either.

Oh, come now - since when have Yes not fallen squarely into the prog category? Even 90125 was well and truly in the progressive rock category, despite all the sampling and shiny digital synth Smile. Generally speaking (present company excepted, Colin! Wink) the only people who tend to dismiss the Rabin-era Yes as "not prog" are the sort of prog fans who think that unless it's all Mellotrons and 10-minute-plus songs, it ain't prog. By that yardstick, practically nothing released since 1976 counts as prog... Laughing

As far as the Frankie Goes To Hollywood question is concerned... Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine certainly seemed to think it counted as prog (it was one of their "It's prog, Jim, But Not As We Know It" albums a while back). I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but if fixing the prog label to it gets some people who might otherwise not have given it a chance to listen to it and broaden their horizons a bit, then hey, I'm all for it Smile.
Back to top Go down
http://hippydave.wordpress.com
ColinCamel
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
ColinCamel

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:50 am

I really liked 90125, but as a pop rock, or maybe AOR album.
Back to top Go down
Astral Enigma
Senior Aircraftman
Senior Aircraftman
Astral Enigma

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:56 pm

I'd say Drama was prog though, which was also FGTH time. But having prog people doesn't make an album prog in itself. I rather like WTTPD - I keep trying to persuade myself I don't, but it keeps going back up my album list...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tclh.co.uk
Sponsored content

A Prog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Prog Question   A Prog Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Prog Question
Page 1 of 1